Works in Progress
- Miller, R. K. A new perspective on librarians in engineering education: Using Thomas Hughes's Systems Approach to consider partnerships and collaborations. Issues in Science & Technology Librarianship. Manuscript in revisions.
- Meier, J. & Miller, R. K. Fail early and often to succeed: The case for rapid prototyping in academic libraries. Manuscript submitted for review.
- Wissinger, C., Raish, V., Miller, R. K. & Borrelli, S. Expert teams in the academic library: Going beyond subject expertise to create scaffolded instruction. Invited paper for Journal of Library Administration. Manuscript submitted for review.
- Miller, R. K. Negotiating, persuading, and influencing: Putting your ideas to work. In M. Hodge (Ed.), The Future Academic Librarian's Toolkit: Finding Success on the Job Hunt and in Your First Job. Chicago: ACRL. Manuscript in progress.
- Salem, J., Miller, R. K., & Borrelli, S. Building a partnership plan: A framework for developing relationships at a new institution. Library Leadership & Management. Special theme issue: Contemporary Library Leadership: A Holistic View. Manuscript in progress.
- Russell, J., & Miller, R. K. Connecting digital humanities and information literacy: A workshop toolkit. Manuscript in process.
- Feerrar, J. & Miller, R. K. Reaching over the fence: Building partnerships with new teaching neighbors. 2016 LOEX Conference Proceedings (Library Orientation Series No. 49). Forthcoming.
- Miller, R. K., DeBose, K. G., & Meier, C. Underage thinking: Building tomorrow's researchers through new campus collaborations. 2015 LOEX Conference Proceedings (Library Orientation Series No. 48). Forthcoming.
Books and Other Major Works
- Benjes Small, C. & Miller, R. K. (2016, November). The new instruction librarian: A workbook for trainers and learners. Chicago, IL: ALA Editions.
- Miller, R. K. & Pressley, L. (2015, October). SPEC Kit 349: Evolution of library liaisons. Washington, D.C.: Association of Research Libraries. Executive summary freely available via the ARL website.
- Miller, R. K., Moorefield-Lang, H., & Meier, C. (Eds). (2015). Mobile devices: Service with intention. Library Technology Reports, 51(7). [This, and previous publications on related topics, strongly influenced and were cited by the ACRL Instruction Section Winter 2016 Tips and Trends issue on Tablets.]
- Miller, R. K. & Benjes-Small, C. (Eds.). (2015). Exploring openness. [Special peer-reviewed issue]. Virginia Libraries, 61.
- Moorefield-Lang, H., Meier, C., & Miller, R. K. (Eds.). (2014). Tablet computers in the school library and classroom. Chicago: ALA Editions.
- Miller, R. K., Moorefield-Lang, H., & Meier, C. (Eds.). (2014). Tablet computers in the academic library. Chicago, IL: ALA Editions.
- Miller, R. K., Moorefield-Lang, H., & Meier, C. (Eds.). (2012). Rethinking reference & instruction with tablets. Library Technology Reports, 48(8).
Chapters or Essays in Books
- Miller, R. K. (2013). Helping new librarians find success and satisfaction. In Paul Hrycaj and Kelly Blessinger (Eds.), Workplace culture in academic libraries: The early twenty-first century. Chandos Press.
- Miller, R. K. (2013). Mobile empowerment: Lifelong learning at your fingertips. In Tom Peters and Lori Bell (Eds.), The handheld library: Mobile technology and the librarian. Libraries Unlimited.
- Miller, R. K. (2012). Important information literacy standards for human nutrition. In Katherine O'Clair and Jeanne Davidson (Eds.), The busy librarian's guide to sci/tech information literacy: Tried and true approaches. Chicago: Association of College & Research Libraries.
- Miller, R. K. (2011). Intellectual property and the corporate library: Understanding best practices in information sharing in U.S. organizations. In Sigrid Kelsey and Marjorie Porter (Eds.), Best practices for corporate libraries. Englewood, CO: Libraries Unlimited.
- DeBose, K. G., Haugen, I., & Miller, R. K. (2017, Winter). Information literacy instruction programs: Supporting the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Community at Virginia Tech. Library Trends, 65(3), 316-338.
- DeBose, K. G. & Miller, R. K. (2015, April). Stewarding our first year students into the information ecosystem: A case study. Journal of Agriculture & Food Information, 16(2), 123-133.
- Miller, R. K. (2012, December). Social media, authentic learning, and embedded librarianship: A case study of dietetics students. Journal of Information Literacy, 6(2), 97-109. Available via the JIL website.
- Ryan, J., Porter, M., & Miller, R. K. (2010, December). Academic library services in virtual worlds: An examination of the potential for library services in immersive environments. Journal of Information Technology Education, 9. Available via the JITE website.
- Ji, H., Hanna, S. D., Lawrence, F. C., & Miller, R. K. (2010, May). Two decades of the Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 21(1), 4-14. Available via the JFCP website.
- Miller, R. K. (2010, January). The Destination: Louisiana Project: Combining wikis, digital libraries, and experiential learning to address current issues in information literacy instruction. Special peer-reviewed issue of Louisiana Libraries, 72(3), 19-24.
- Miller, R. K., Hires, W., & Lawrence, F. C. (2009, Fall). Transforming access to the Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 20(2), 3-4. Available via the JFCP website.
Articles and Other Publications (non peer-reviewed)
- Miller, R. K. (2016, June). Embracing our communities of practice. PaLA Bulletin, 71(2), 12-13. Available via the PaLA website.
- Meier, J. & Miller, R. K. (2016, June). Turning the revolution into an evolution: The case for design thinking and rapid prototyping in libraries. College & Research Libraries News, 77(6), 283-286. Available via the C&RL News website.
- Miller, R. K. (2016, March). Lucy Lee Lancaster. Women of Library History. Feminist Task Force of the American Library Association. Available via the Women of Library History Tumblr.
- Miller, R. K., Moorefield-Lang, H., & Meier, C. (2015, October). Embracing the future. American Libraries. Available via the American Libraries website.
- Miller, R. K. (2015, April). Beyond the books: Meaningful activities that motivate learners to develop information skills. Pedagogy in Practice 2015, 22-26.
- Miller, R. K. (2015, March). Individual adaptation: Interdisciplinary perspectives on personal identity and learning during organizational change. In ACRL 2015 Proceedings. Paper presented at ACRL 2015, Portland, OR. Chicago: American Library Association. Available via the ACRL website.
- Miller, R. K., Barb, C., & Hall, T. (2013). Library’s got talent! New library instructors discover their voices. 2013 LOEX Conference Proceedings (Library Orientation Series No. 46).
- Miller, R. K. & Meier, C. (2012). Bringing more to the table(t): Ideas and insights for using tablets in instruction. 2012 LOEX Conference Proceedings (Library Orientation Series No. 45).
- Miller, R. K., Goldbeck DeBose, K., Hall, N., Lindblad, P., Scripa, A., Speer, J., & Young, P. (2013, April-June). Promoting universal knowledge for all: Open Access Week 2012 at Virginia Tech. Virginia Libraries. Available via the Virginia Libraries website.
- Miller, R. K., Meier, C., and Moorefield-Lang, H. (2013, January). Dispatches from the Field: The tao of tablets. American Libraries. Available via the American Libraries website.
- Miller, R. K. (2012). LILAC Conference: Perspectives from a Bogle Pratt awardee. International Leads, 26(2): 6. Available via VTechWorks.
- Miller, R. K. & Paulo, J. (2012). Learning the language of information literacy: Takeaways from ACRL's Immersion Program. Virginia Libraries, 58(2). Available via the Virginia Libraries website.
- Miller, R. K. (2011). VLA NMRT Forum: Supporting the next generation of Virginia's library leaders. Virginia Libraries, 57(3). Available via the Virginia Libraries website.
- Miller, R. K. (2010, May). Strengthening our ties: The Louisiana Library Association reinvigorates its New Members Round Table (and vice versa!). Footnotes: Newsletter of the New Members Round Table, 39(4), n.p. Available via the ALA NMRT Footnotes website.
- Miller, R. K. (2009, Summer). The librarian: A new ingredient in the recipe for success in dietetic education. DEP-Line: A Publication of the Dietetic Educators of Practitioners, 11-12.
- Miller, R. K. & Lawrence, F. C. (2008, Fall). AFCPE's research journal gains new points of access and indexing platforms. The Standard: Newsletter for the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, 26(4), 15. Available via the AFCPE website.
- Miller, R. K. (2008, January). From Bodleian to Idea Stores: The evolution of English library design. Library Student Journal, 3(1), n.p. Available via VTechWorks.
- Miller, R. K. (2010, May). [Review of the book Bite-Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions for Overworked Librarians, by N. Dowd, M. Evangeliste, and J. Silberman]. Endnotes: The Journal of the New Members Round Table, 1(1), n.p. Available via the ALA NMRT Endnotes website.
- Miller, R. K. (2009, Summer). [Review of the book Gender, by H. Bradley]. Feminist Collections: A Quarterly Review of Women's Studies Resources, 30(2), 20.
- Miller, R. K. (2008, September). [Review of the book Thinking Outside the Book: Essays for Innovative Librarians, by C. Smallwood]. LIBRES: Library and Information Science Research Electronic Journal, 18, n.p. Available via the LIBRES website.